a) Information provided by you
The types of information we collect directly from you may include the following, as well as any other information type that we expressly ask you to enter and submit:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Educational and employment background;
- Comments and feedback;
- nterests and communication preferences.
b) Information Collected Automatically
Our Website automatically collects certain information regarding your use of it. Examples of information collected automatically include:
- Internet Protocol ("IP") address used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Computer, device and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform and unique device identifier (“UDID”) and other technical identifiers;
- Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") click stream data, including date and time, and content you viewed or searched for on the Website;
- Location information to provide you with more relevant content for where you are in the world.
We may use and disclose automatically collected information for any purpose, except where we are restricted by applicable law. If we combine any automatically collected information with personal information, the combined information will be treated by us as personal information.
c) Cookies and Web Beacons
- “Session” cookies, which are temporary and deleted when you close your browser;
- “Persistent” cookies, which remain until you delete them or they expire;
- Web beacons, which are electronic images also known as single-pixel gifs.
In general, cookies, web beacons and similar technologies do not contain personally identifiable information, but when you furnish your personal information through the Website, this information may be linked to the non-personally identifiable data stored in cookies sent to your browser from the Website.
We and our service providers use these technologies for various purposes, including: facilitating the login process, administering, customizing and improving the Website, personalizing the browsing experience, advertising, promotions, surveys, reporting and paying royalties and license fees to third-party providers, such as authors, societies and other copyright holders and content distributors as well as tracking and analyzing user preferences and trends.
There are a number of ways to manage cookies. The “help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new browser cookie, and how to disable existing browser cookies. However, if you block cookies, you may not be able to register, login or make full use of the Website. You can also use your mobile device’s settings to manage the available privacy options.
Our HTML-formatted emails may contain a web beacon to tell us whether our emails are opened and verify any clicks through to links or advertisements within the email. We may use this information for purposes including determining which of our emails are more interesting to users, to query whether users who do not open our emails wish to continue receiving them and to inform our advertisers in aggregate how many users have clicked on their advertisements. The web beacon will be deleted when you delete the email. Emails in plain text rather than HTML will not include the web beacon.
2. Collection of Information
We collect information from you in two ways: directly from your input and automatically through the Website’s technologies. We hold this information, including through the use of our third party agents.
Failure to provide necessary personal information when requested may result in certain products or services not being available to you.
3. Use of Your Personal Information
We use the personal information collected through the Website to complete various actions and purposes:
- to assist you in completing a transaction or order;
- to provide and improve service and support;
- to respond to requests, inquiries, complaints or applications;
- to update you on relevant new services and benefits;
- to personalize the Website and to select content to be communicated to you or to use features on the Website such as sharing content with a friend or colleague;
- to contact you regarding our products or services or other products and services from third parties;
- to invite you to participate in surveys, sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
- to conduct website administration, such as for the technical support of our websites and computer systems;
- for data analysis, audits, developing new products, enhancing the Website, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, or in other ways to which you have expressly agreed in a customer agreement with us;
- to prevent and detect security threats, fraud or other malicious activity; and
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We may on occasion also match or combine the personal information that you provide with information that we obtain from other sources or that is already in our records, whether collected online or offline or by predecessor or affiliated group companies, for the purposes described above.
4. Sharing or Disclosing Your Personal Information
We share your personal information in the following ways:
- LexisNexis. Your personal information may be accessible to all LexisNexis Group companies worldwide for the purposes described in this policy.
- Website Providers. Your personal information may be accessible to our service providers and suppliers, which assist us with producing and delivering our products and services, operating our business, and marketing, promotion and communications. These providers and suppliers include, for example, editors, reviewers, credit card processors, customer support, email service providers, IT service providers and shipping agents.
- Other Third Parties: We may share personal Information with other third parties if we expressly told you about such potential disclosure at the point at which you submitted the Information to us.
- Compliance with Law and Similar Obligations. We may share personal information in order to: (i) respond to or comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or court order; (ii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud or other malicious activity; (iii) enforce and protect our rights and properties or those or our licensors and suppliers; or (iv) protect the rights or personal safety of our employees and third parties on or using our property.
- Change in Circumstances. If the Website or a related asset or line of business is acquired by or transferred to a third party, your personal information may be disclosed to the prospective or actual purchasers.
The Website also may provide access to social media features, message boards, chat, forums, blogs, profile pages and other services to which you are able to post personal information and materials. Any information you post or disclose through these services is public. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
5. Children's privacy
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and we do not target our websites to children under 13.
6. Your Choices and Selecting your Privacy Preferences
You can manage available communications preferences when you register with the Website, by updating your account preferences, or, where applicable, by using the “opt-out” or unsubscribe mechanism or other means provided within the communications that you receive. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Website whenever necessary.
You may request that we do not disclose your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
7. Access to and Accuracy of Your Personal Information
Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have rights of access to and correction of personal information that we hold. You may request access to personal information about you that you have provided to us through the Website. The Website may allow registered users to access their registration information and make corrections or updates. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user. No access is given to other data that may have been collected about users.
To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity. To view and change the personal information that you directly provided to us, you can return to the Web page where you originally submitted your data and follow the instructions on that Web page, or contact us at the address listed below
9. Cross Border Transfer of Data
Your personal information may be transferred to other countries for processing, support, storage and other necessary activities and by using the Website you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, which may have different personal data protection rules than in your country.
10. Contacting Us
New Zealand Council of Law Reporting
C/- LexisNexis NZ Limited
Level 1; 138 The Terrace
The effective date of this policy is 1 December 2014.